Welcome to my dating blog called 55 and Single!

You guessed it! I'm 55 years old, and I am single (not by my own doing - my much younger husband deserted me and fled to his Bosnian homeland, without so much as a second thought). His advice to me was simply: move on and live your life. So that is what I intend to do, and I am going to chronicle my adventures using various dating websites, blind dates, or whomever I happen to meet that is interested in dating.

I am new to the dating scene (had two marriages: 1st one lasted 28 years; 2nd one lasted 5 years). It's a scary world out here, women, and the rules and expectations have changed dramatically since I was last single. Being a "cougar" also adds to the mix, so I hope you will check back on my progress. Feel free to share your thoughts as I journey alone in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Happy reading!

55 and SINGLE!

55 and SINGLE!
Would you date me?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

BlackPeopleMeet Here I Come!

So after hearing nada from the last 5 guys I have gone out with from Plenty of Fish, I have bit the bullet and listened to my eldest daughter, and I have subscribed to a Paid Dating Service!! She claims that is why I haven't found anybody worthwhile. And lo and behold, I have received 80 emails. Yikes. After the Spanish Fly, I mean, Spy texted and then failed to respond, I have accepted the fact that a) he was a mama's boy after all, b) perhaps he was gay c) maybe he got offended when I refused his offer to drive or walk me home or d) maybe he got miffed when I chose SYTYCD over him. Oh well, Spanish Wayne Newton was definitely not my scene.

So back to my 80 emails. I have flirted and chatted with several interesting males. One is from Alabama but just happens to be visiting a city near me. After chatting, we realized that we both went to university in the same city, and there are alot of spooky coincidences that I can only attribute to divine intervention or my late ex-husband's doing. We are going to try to meet up at the end of the month. I am feeling excited and hopeful for our meeting. He is definitely more my type, and we seem to have alot in common. And just when I had given up on men in general, he calls me long distance to chat (on his dime). I will update you as it gets closer to the end of the month.

Today at the grocery store on my way to get my buggy, an attractive younger man kept smiling at me and mumbling under his breath. I thought he was talking to himself. I'm used to seeing crazies daily. But he seemed to be following me and staring at me and as I got closer, I could hear him saying how beautiful I was (what?). Then as we were both putting loonies in our carts, he said, you must be married, right? And I said no. He said then you must have a boyfriend, I said no. Then he said are you into younger men, I said yes (duh?). Then he said well could I call you and maybe we could go for a drink or something. So he asked for my no. and I politely asked for his. He said he didn't have one (uh oh), but I gave him my cell no. Of course, we couldn't find a pen, so I don't know if he'll remember my no. by heart or not. But there definitely was a moment. I asked his name, he said Neil, I told him mine, we shook hands, he didn't want to let go of my hand. Then he kept repeating how gorgeous I was (I didn't even look that great) but he just kept saying it over and over again. Then he said so I'll call you, and away we went. I know what you're all thinking: everybody claims that when you're not looking for somebody, they just show up at the unlikeliest places, like a grocery store. I have to admit that it was very flattering, and even if I don't hear from him, it put a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment